Congressman Bentz Announces Afghanistan Resources
My heart goes out to the families of the service members who lost a loved one due to violence in Afghanistan. As we continue to learn more about the ongoing tragedy, I am praying for our troops, citizens, and those in harm’s way. To our veterans and their families who bravely answered the call to serve, please know that we thank you, that we stand by you, and that there is confidential support available for you during this immensely difficult time.
My office has been focused helping constituents who may have family, friends, or contacts asking for help in escaping Afghanistan. If you or someone you know is an American citizen or Afghan ally stuck in Afghanistan, please contact my office at 541-776-4646.
Additionally, below are resources for service members, veterans, military families, and anyone who is impacted by this situation.
- The U.S. Embassy in Kabul is requesting that U.S. Citizens use this repatriation link for the purpose of facilitating return travel to the United States. Each traveler in the group should complete one form.
- The U.S. State Department has also consolidated all Afghanistan inquiries to HAfghanInquiries@state.gov.
- Please view the latest Security Alerts from the U.S. Embassy in Kabul and the Department of State’s website for more information.
For information regarding the process to apply for a Special Immigrant Visa (SIV), please see here.
THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT CANNOT ENSURE SAFE PASSAGE TO THE HAMID KARZAI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT.
The State Department has now set up a hotline at 1-888-407-4747(domestic calls) and 1-202-501-4444 (overseas calls), as well as a Repatriation Assistance Request form online for any U.S. Citizens seeking emergency flights out of Kabul.
U.S. citizens seeking assistance to depart the country should complete this Repatriation Assistance Request for each traveler in their group. Spouses and minor children of U.S. citizens in Afghanistan who are awaiting immigrant visas should also complete this form if they wish to depart. Please do so as soon as possible. Please do so only once. You must complete this form even if you’ve previously submitted your information to the U.S. Embassy in Kabul by another means.
This form is the only way to communicate interest in flight options. They will notify you directly by email based on your registration as soon as departure options become available.
If you are not already registered, please sign up for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at http://step.state.gov to ensure you receive travel and health notifications from the U.S. Embassy.
Special Immigrant Visas (SIVs) for Iraqi and Afghan Translators/Interpreters
If you/someone you know has an approved petition for a Special Immigrant Visa, email NVCSIV@state.gov or call 1-603-334-0828.
P-2 Program for Afghan Nationals
RESOURCES FOR VETERANS
Compiled by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
See a comprehensive list of community resources for Veterans and their families here.
- Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255 & Press 1 or Text 838-255; Online chat: Veterans Crisis Line: Suicide Prevention Hotline, Text & Chat
- Vet Centers: 1-877-921-8387 or find one near you
- VA Mental Health Services Guide: This guide will help you sign up and access mental health services.
- MakeTheConnection.net: Information, resources, and Veteran to Veteran videos for challenging life events and experiences with mental health issues.
- RallyPoint: Talk to other Veterans online. Discuss: What are your feelings as the Taliban reclaim Afghanistan after 20 years of US involvement?
- Download VA's self-help apps: Tools to help deal with common reactions like, stress, sadness, and anxiety. You can also track your symptoms over time.
- Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS): Request a Peer Mentor
- VA Women Veterans Call Center: Call or text 1-855-829-6636 (M-F 8AM - 10PM & SAT 8AM - 6:30PM ET)
- VA Caregiver Support Line: Call 1-855-260-3274 (M-F 8AM - 10PM & SAT 8AM - 5PM ET)
- Together We Served
- George W. Bush Institute: Need help or want to talk? Check In or call 1-630-522-4904 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Elizabeth Dole Foundation Hidden Heroes
- American Red Cross Military Veteran Caregiver Network: Peer Support and Mentoring
- Team Red, White & Blue: Hundreds of events weekly; Find a chapter in your area
- Student Veterans of America: Find a campus chapter to connect with
- Team Rubicon: Find a local support squad